Please PASS the Awesomesauce
Recently, the 3 of you that read this stream of (un)consciousness may have noticed a lot of posts about PASS and the Board of Directors elections. I was pleasantly surprised to see the news last Friday that I had indeed been elected to a 2 year term on the PASS board.
I’d like to start by thanking everyone who voted, even if you chose not to vote for me. We need more community involvement in all things PASS, and voting is a very important part of that!
This election was not without its fair share of controversy and while overall it was a difficult process for the community to go through, I think a lot of good can result from it. I hope that everyone who had an opinion about the “process” stays involved. Staying involved & interested is the easiest way the community can shape the future of the organization.
I’m very excited to have the opportunity to serve the SQL Server Community in a larger role than in the past. As always, if you’ve got ideas feel free to send em to me. I cant make any promises except that I will read and respond but, Im a fan of stealing borrowing others ideas for PASS and making them happen.
Other recent PASS info
Weve had a literal whirlwind of activity in the program committee leadership in the last month+ So, I thought I’d list some of the stuff thats been happening
- We gathered a large group of volunteers to proofread abstracts before publishing in the program guide
- Also, we hammered out all the details for 3 new session types for the Summit : Chalk talk sessions, Best of sessions, and lightning sessions
- Published a Session preferencing tool to help us build a good schedule (awesome data gathered here!!)
- We built the summit schedule – this is always fun, if you have any complaints, its on me
- We gathered a team of volunteers to review session powerpoints so I wont be doing them alone on the last day (YAY!) in doing this we updated the review guidelines to be more relevant/current
- I had hoped we would nail down the Microsoft speakers & sessions a little better (earlier) this year but, it seems like we’ve been getting more changes & cancellations than Id have liked.
- We worked on Coordinated with VC’s & pre/postconference speakers to try and setup livemeeting previews of their sessions — Marketing & free community education –thats like Bacon wrapped Bacon Win-Win!
- Lots of discussions with our Summit software vendor about availability of ppt updates, demos, etc during the summit. Updates soon
- The Summit Schedule builder *should* go live on Monday the 27th Also, realize this is an expected date but things occasionally happen so dont scream too much if its a lil late (or someone will let me know their displeasure with my tipping of the due dates)
- Community experts summit session lists – we’ve asked some experts for their opinions about which sessions to attend, I cant wait to see what these lists look like!
Other Interesting Discussions happening
- Whether we’re going to record/stream a session room at the Summit and what we’d do with those recordings
- Whether we should switch back to 2 days of Preconference sessions or stick with 1 day pre and 1 day post
- Whether we should be providing desktops in the session rooms for speakers (most don’t seem to use them)
- PASSion award & expanding PASS’s recognition of outstanding volunteers at all levels